Sunday, June 3, 2012

I see you......




I was watching a show with some friends the other night.  In the story line a character, who had been presumed dead came back home. He had been badly burned during the war and his face was disfigured.  When he told his story only one of the family that he had been a part of believed him. In the end, it was too difficult for the family to believe that the man they had lost had come back to them.  That this man, disfigured and fragile was the strong vibrant man they had known. 

He left before the truth could be either confirmed or clearly refuted.
The one who took the time to look past the appearance and really see him knew the truth.  In her heart she grieved at the loss once again... not from death, but from rejection.  
How often do we look into the lives of others and see only what we want to see?  See only through our own stories.  Forgeting that those we encounter have their own stories, their own “lens” that they them selves look at the world around them through?  
One of the best parts of the Movie “Avatar” for me was how they said “I love you” to one another.  There is a scene so profound....  
When the two main characters meet each other - truly meet each other - for the first time, she holds his small form in her arms.  He opens his eyes and smiles.  He touches her face and says, “I see you..”  She in return does the same.  
In that moment they acknowledge each other.  He looks into her heart, her mind, her soul and says, “you are my beloved..  I see all that you are and I love you”.  Her response says, “I receive your love.  I receive who you are and give my love in return”.
Maybe it’s just the hopeless romantic in me.... that part of me that watches this movie and sees this moment from my own hearts story and desire to be seen.  Maybe it also comes from that place where I have been seen by the One who created me.  Where I long to acknowledge, receive and give response to that extravagant love.  
Whatever and where ever it comes from, I am ok with it.  
I am loved by a God who sees me.  He is my El Roi “the one who sees me”.  He knows my inner struggles and my strengths.  Always loving, always protecting, always believing in who I am and who I am becoming in His love. My identity firmly fixed in His heart and hands. In a place protected - where no one can steal or diminish what He has spoken.  
Here is the challenge of love.  To see from heaven’s eyes and speak from that perspective.  It is not always easy, because we may see and need to speak what others may not want to hear.  We may need to challenge the vision of another in love.  
I am humbled when someone that I know truly cares for my heart speaks into my story from a place of love.  When they look at me and say, “I see you” and I know that it comes from an authentic desire to know and encourage my heart. Even when it’s hard, knowing when you are truly seen changes how you receive a word.  
Jesus knew that when He spoke to Peter.  I know that when He speaks to me.  Hagar called out to the Lord and He responded.  She recognized that response by her own words... “He is the God who sees me”...  It was an establishment of relational love.  
There will never be a day when the Lord doesn’t recognize me.  No matter what I look like, sound like or act like.  I will never be a place he will reject me for lack of “seeing me” beyond what I look like outwardly.  
God does not see as we see... He does not sees as man does.  I am forever thankful and welcome the grace to walk that out in my own life.  

Today, challenge yourself to do the same. 

No comments:

Post a Comment