Saturday, September 7, 2013

How long will you hold your breath........


How long will you hold your breath.......
“We may restrict the expression of worship for a season, just as we may briefly hold our breath, but there is an inward craving for worship that cannot be permanently stilled”   —Judson Cornwall
I have been going through this long dry season of not writing, of not giving expression to the things rolling about in my mind....  
This morning I woke up with a whisper saying, “It’s been too long.... It’s time.... Oil the hinges... prime the pump...  Get the flow going once again.”  
There is so much out there that can get me stuck and sidetracked these days.  My heart screams at the madness that is happening around us.  So much that could cause my thoughts to drift into places of sadness, anger and disappointment.  It’s like I’m holding my breath, waiting to exhale because the air around me has been so stale.  

Anger at the world and events around us can cause us all to hold our breath. At times even forget how to breath.  We hold things in and become stale and stiffened. Stubbornly, I catch myself holding my breath, like a toddler throwing a tantrum thinking it will change things. Only to find myself out of breath and weakened by my own actions. In desperate need oil to unlock the hinges of my lungs. Needing to be reminded of the promise and the hope that lies in each new day, each new breath.

In that moment I realize I have the ability to take that deep cleansing breath and see from a higher perspective.  
My lungs long for something that tastes better but I seem to have forgotten how to breath it in.  
A breath that will fill my lungs and renew my sense of promise and hope in who we are and where we are going....... Who I am and where I am going......
I know that breath is there... waiting to happen.  It waits for my response.  The craving for the clear, the clean and refreshed. That moment when I let go of the stale air I have been holding on to and breath in the freshness of what is waiting for me.  
Love does not hold it’s breath. Love chooses to breath in... even the stale air that surrounds it in the moment when all seems lost.  And, in that moment when it seems Love’s very last breath taken, a new breath comes and changes everything.  It brings with it life.  Patience with the chaos, hurt, injustice and the just plain crazy world around us. 

And when that new breath happens, a sound of worship comes with it.  The sound of a heart saying, "thank you for your love.... thank you for reminding me of what matters most..."
Today I am going to try to breath......  I am going to remember that place of thankfulness that renews my heart, my mind, my spirit and my soul.  I am going to breath out the old stale thoughts and distractions.  I’m going to let the oil of kindness in.   Let the promise of Love come down and run over the hinges of my heart and start pumping out what I know is true.  
I am going to breath the air of Heaven and release it in an exhale of worship where ever I am and  in whatever I am doing or saying.  
Let your breath go.  Let your heart be renewed.  Take a breath.  
A deep cleansing breath....

No comments:

Post a Comment