Friday, October 8, 2010

Angels Unaware.....

Hebrews 13:2 
“Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it.”
I got a call from my Mom the other day to tell me that a childhood friend of mine had gone home to be with Jesus.  That phone call led me to so many memories of so many stories that I had to write it down. 
When I was in second grade my Mom started to drive the school bus.  Shortly after starting, she was transferred to what some refer to as the “short bus”. Back then there were no wheel chair ramps or lifts.  My Mom never needed an aide to ride with her and never wanted one.  She drove that route until she retired. So I guess you could say that I grew up riding “short bus” too because I spent a whole lot of time either on that bus or hearing about her day.  This bus became the place of stories, friendship, and inspiration.  It was a place where I learned about life and how to love others from the inside and not what they looked like (or smelled like) on the outside. I would hear the stories from my Mom and laugh with her or cry with her as she told them.  I would encounter Special Olympics from these amazing people and learn that when you win, the first thing you do is turn around and cheer on the next person coming through.  You keep on cheering until everyone crosses the line and finishes.  When they finish, you hug them and tell them what a great job they did.  It’s a race where everyone wins, not because they came in first but because they did their best and didn’t quit.

I can’t imagine my youth without these amazing people. They taught me how to hug.  When you were hugged by and someone like John or Monica or Shawn, you are hugged from the heart of God. You are given a gift that cannot be measured and a trust that is compete and true.  There is nothing left out or held back in that kind of an embrace.  These people are tough as nails, soft as melted butter and anywhere else on the spectrum at any moment.  They are truly themselves all the time without regret or second-guessing.  We have no idea the challenges they face everyday.  We have no true understanding of how deeply they feel when they encounter those challenges.  
Now when I go out to Oregon and visit my parents there is a whole new set of friends added to those of my youth.  Every Wednesday at the ARC we gather to make crafts and talk about life.  I am welcomed each time as if I have never been gone.  I can't imagine a visit to Oregon that wouldn't include time spent with the funny and dear group of people.  They remind me of what's truly important.... letting go of what you can't control and living every moment fully and without regret.  
My life is marked by moments of wisdom that has come from people that most would consider not as smart.  But wisdom is not always measured in your I.Q. or GPA.  Real wisdom comes from the ability to live life in a way that is true to who you are.  In the ability to accept and cherish each moment and let go of far more than you hold on to.  

I am so blessed to have all of these people in my life.  Had my Mom drove a “normal bus”, I would have missed out on a such an adventure.  I would have missed the angels that were right there in front of my eyes.  

My friend is laughing with Jesus now in a place where there are no "short buses".   This blog is in honor of him and all of my friends who taught me more than any classroom could have.  Here is my challenge to those reading this little blog - be aware of those who others may ingnore.  Be open to learning from those who you may consider to know less.  Keep your eyes open for the angels that are out there.  They come in unique and wonderful forms.  Let them teach us all a deeper layer of love, patience and understanding.   
me and my friend Monica this last summer in Oregon
My new friend Audrea making a blanket for a certain little baby I know..... 

3 comments:

  1. so sweet. i used to be the teacher's aid in the special ed class in high school, and i coached special olympics swimming. i always prefered sitting with my 'special' friends i the lunchroom, because they were so much more fun. and so i know everything in this blog to be true:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome word Molly...you're such a sweetheart! LOVE THOM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Molly -Tears are trickling down my cheek. Not from losing Shawn, because his spirit is permanently infused in our hearts and souls.Tears of bonding with you who, from childhood, so effortlessly embraced our children as valuable. The insights you express are 100% accurate. As Shawn's life changed from active participant to sedentary observer he was an incredible example of "living in the moment." We are left with the truth that each life has a purpose. God works through each willing person to touch the world with his love.

    ReplyDelete