Life is never perfectly round.....
in the life around us...
I had an chat with Papa the other day while strolling on the beach.. He showed me this stone that looked so odd and didn’t quite fit in with “the beach”. I of course picked it up and continued walking. Then I saw another stone. This one was closer to a beach stone and yet still not “perfect”. and again, I picked it up.
Finally I saw a third stone. This one perfectly round, as if to fit right in the palm of my had. I picked it up and put it with the other two.
And then I walked and waited and listened.
I knew the rest of the story would come. It always does when we are willing to listen (and sometimes even when we aren’t).
I heard these words in my heart. “Life is never perfectly round. Life will not always be without it’s edges. Things won’t always fit the image or plan we have. Perfectly round doesn’t mean perfect.
And love is always... “
This past year has had some very hard edged moments that didn’t fit and didn’t feel right. That sorrow that began, still lingers. In every day moments and family dynamics that can cause us to shut down and want to walk away. Changes that don’t feel “right”, but that you also cannot force and make fit into the palm of your hand.
I can look at all three of these rocks that I picked up and I can judge them. I can put them into categories and rate them. Or...I can see them for what they are.
Unique... imperfect in their individual ways as well as beautiful.
I cannot demand that a rock change it’s form. If I took a tool with an edge trying reshape the rock, make it fit my palm, inside it will remain what it is. A rock.
My attempt to change it, only causes both myself and the rock frustration and pain.
So I will leave that rock to it’s own shaping. The shaping that comes with time and sand and water rushing over it. I will let my heart breath and let go.
I will leave that rock to the palm of love that all of us fit perfectly in. Papa’s palm is ever-shaping for us to fit right in the center. And His eyes see us as we are to His heart. Perfect.
I don’t know which rock shape I am. I only know that I fit in His hand and Papa sees my hard and soft edges with love. I only know that authentic Love will shape me if I am willing and open. When the perfectly round moments happen, I will enjoy them. And when the wonky shaped rocks in life happen... I will choose love.
That’s the one thing that never changes.
Love. It shapes itself for each moment and each person who is willing to accept it and let it soak into their marrow. It is the wind and sand and water that patiently shapes us.
Timeless in it’s ability to see us as we truly are. Kind enough not to force us, but instead always inviting us.
I found these quotes and thought they seemed to fit.
“If we want the advantages of love, then we must be willing to take the risks of love.
And that requires vulnerability.
Of course, we can refuse this path and trod another one devoid of openness.
But the toll on such a road is extremely high.” — Charles Swindoll
“Forgive and give as if it were your last opportunity.
Love like there’s no tomorrow, and if tomorrow comes, love again.”
— Max Lucado in Great Day Every Day
“If God had a refrigerator, your picture would be on it.
If He had a wallet, your photo would be in it.
He sends you flowers every spring and a sunrise every morning…
Face it, friend. He is crazy about you! ” — Max Lucado
“Higher than the mountains that I face
Stronger than the power of the grave
constant in the trial and the change
One thing remains - Jesus Culture


No comments:
Post a Comment